Saturday, May 30, 2009

Green Beans - Seed to plant in 7 days

These beans were planted one week ago today. On the left is an Italian green bean and on the right are bush variety green beans. The grid you see in the photo is the square foot method I mentioned in previous posts. It has been determined that in one square foot four bean plants can grow properly. I planted two seeds per spot or eight seeds total and then reduced them to four plants per square foot. I probably could have just planted four seeds per square, but opted to be safe.

Beans are one of the easiest garden vegetables to grow. They are hardy and incredibly hard to foul up. They also offer a huge yield. I stagger my bean plantings by about two weeks apart so that we have a constant supply for about a month and some to freeze too. Currently we have eight squares of beans totaling 32 plants and will finish with 16 square or 64 plants.

No comments: