Sunday, May 17, 2009


Frost advisories for tonight so we had to protect all of our plants with black plastic sheets and bed sheets. Temperatures are predicted to drop to the low 30's tonight. Last night we covered up too as it wasn't predicted, bet we knew it was going to get cold. In the photos you'll notice I've covered up the raspberries draped black plastic over the trellis. Behind the raspberries is our strawberry patch. And the burgundy sheet covers our redskin potatoes. Now most of these plants are okay and run little risk to the frost, but our strawberry plants are loaded with emerging strawberries and flowers. In the past when we let them go we've found that they get damaged so to be safe we cover everything. It takes about 15 minutes and for me I have a quick system in place. The trellis supports the plastic for the raspberries, the strawberries I've pvc white water piping that easily bends into an arch, and the potatoes I used dowel to support the sheet. In the following photo you'll see that I put various planters over the blueberry bushes. It's a bit of work, but great insurance.

No comments: